Since Orthodox Eastern are near, we painted some eggs. An old traditional way is to use wax and multiple painting to achieve different decorations. More about how they have to look you could google using “oua incondeiate”.
Anyway I wanted to try this as well. I was totally unprepared and didn’t have cold paints, and the needed wax, so I improvised. I used a 3d pen and normal hot paints.
I gotta take time more often for stuff like this. Anyway we decided this year we (me and my children) make our own halloween masks. My daughter decided to go for a witch and my son for baby Groot.
We started of with some basic masks I baught, and using tape and newspapers we shaped the rough form.
For everything to go faster I also bought some Papermache which mixed with water resulted in a perfect molding stuff. When it gets dry it isn’t too heavy and it can be sanded with sandpaper.
So this is only the first rough form. Still a lot to be done here after it dries out…
Next step was to give them a base color to cover the surface. Later on light colors will be used to give them the real form.
Last touch was painting them in the final colors. Also the leaves for Baby Groot were made with PLA using a 3d pen. We also used UV colors for both so that under UV light tey would shine like the last picture below.
It always takes a little time until I finish my works, but I finally made it.
From my last post, the next step was painting the background, clouds, mountains, rock, etc.
Then I had to create back spikes from silicone, since the led strip from the back had still to be visible through the spikes. I added also the electronic parts: light resistor on the right wing, proximity sensor on the nose, side uv led strips and 2 blue leds in the mouth.
I guess there are not many kids theese days who don’t know him: Toothless from “How to train your dragon”. I thought I give it a try, since after the firefighter truck for my son, my daughter now also wants some “light effects” in her room.
So the original ideea was to create a Toothless model from the 2nd movie, which can also light up in blue. The final model will be a painting around a toothless model, with blue leds in the mouth to simulate the plasma, a short blue led strip on top of Toothless to light up the spines, 2 uv blacklight led strips on the side to simulate the light on the scales (which will be painted with blacklight paint) a photoresistor which detects day/night (at night it will turn on a night light by default) and an infrared distance measuring sensor on its nose, as a trigger for the “plasma” and to cycle through all programs.
So I started to model the dragon in Blender, and prepared it afterwards for printing in Pepakura. After some hours of work it was cut out and sticked together.
The next step was a layer of paper mache for it to get stronger, and some black spraypaint as the base color.
Then I used some almond seeds and again paper mache to make the teeth. And for the eyes I used a part from a plastic bottle and the printed eyes.
Now for the electronic part, I started to put everything together on a board. Mainly an Arduino Pro Mini will do all the tricks described at the beginning. It is easy to use and can be easily reprogrammed if changes are needed. I just really need to work on my electronics layout and soldering skills 😉
After putting it all together, it looks like this:
Like the title says, this is only the first stage I tried to finish before the vacation. It still needs a lot of work.
paint details on Toothles (nicer teeth, scales, uv paint, edges of eyes, edges of mouth, spines etc.)
paint the background (mountains, rocks, tree, sky) and the rock it stands on
put all lights on and wire all the electronics together
This is a project I started more than 6 month ago (not much spare time in my house 😉 ). We needed something for the bedroom, which would light up automatically, and not too bright, enough to find your way into bed, and not wake the other one up, which is most of the times my wife 😉
Have seen online a lot of solutions for a starry night ceiling and paintings. Gathered all those ideas, took the best ones and put them into this one.
As soon as I discovered the potential of blacklight painting doing this painting, I knew I will probably never do a painting without it. Have a lot to learn on how to mix colors to get the nicest effects, and it really looks good in the dark (way better than all pictures I shoot with my camera).
From all the solutions for the stars I chose the fully programable rgb leds, since I wanted to be able to program some of the starts to go bright randonmly from time to time.
Since I was a child I was fascinated by fluorescence, phosphorescence and bioluminescence. Seing the movie Avatar was the cherry on top that motivated me to make some of my own decorations.
Some time ago I discovered what UV painting is and decided to try it out. A few Artists I found also tried to merge daylight painting with UV painting. Meaning that by day you see a normal painting, and if the room goes dark, and uv light is on, the painting looks just like a scene from Avatar by night, glowing, shining, … and suddenly I wanted to make this a hobby of my own.
It all started with me browsing through Instructables and finding a lot of great ideas. I came across the CapSense Arduino library and a great instructable, and just had to try it out. The idea behind is you create a proximity sensor using just aluminum foil, an Arduino and a 10 megaohms resistor. It is very easy to put the peices together even for an electronics beginner as myself. I got it started and a LED was blinking based on the proximity of my hand. As soon as my kids saw this, it was not my project any more, and I had to stand behing letting them play with it. I got them to back off only by promising them a magic orb based on this … 😉